Sunday, July 26, 2009

Just to be clear

I am planning on re-using the existing building - or at least most of it.
These sketches should explain what I plan to keep and what I envision is on the inside of the existing structure.



I plan on keeping the majority of the building for these reasons:
1. It is one of the few remaining buildings on the entire site.
2. Its obvious links to history.
3. Its psychological connection to the people of Berlin (the last piece of their history of a paper mill town)
4. It reinforces the idea of creating a benefit to a disturbed site - without having to create more destruction/disturbance to create a new piece of architecture - through adaptive reuse.
5. I think the overall challenge would be to take something I believe to be unattractive -large, looming, unfriendly, unapproachable, non-transparent (what goes on in that building?)- and to create something of value, something more approachable for the entire community.


Elevations


Section One


Section Two


Section Three

No comments:

Post a Comment