Saturday, July 11, 2009

Investigating "Precinct 1"

After my initial attempt to divide my site into precincts - I decided to look closer at precinct 1, which will be the first part of my master plan development.


Initially (as seen in the sketch in the last posting) I thought that I would divide development areas 1&2. However, after taking a closer look - I decided to include a portion of the west bank of the river (where main street and the dam building are located) - using the existing railroad track as a "natural divide."

With that in mind, I examined the location of the existing structures and their relationships to each other, the river and main street. I then decided where I thought it would be appropriate to have "areas of connectivity" (orange squares) - and examined how those areas related to the existing buildings, river and streets.


After examining the relationships - I attempted to decided which building footprints I would re-incorporate, based on their relationships to the areas of connectivity on the site.


I then examined the paths that connected these buildings/footprints to one another. It was after this that I realized that these connections, could become footpaths (areas of travel) for pedestrians. But I needed to look at the development as a whole - to further examine the connections/paths that were to be developed.


Sketching over the plan: Taking a step back, it seems to me that an ideal location for the main road should follow along the existing railroad track. This would serve as a division for the areas of development as well as a visual break between precincts.

Taking a look at my program (the school, berlin historical society, eco-tourism) - I took a first attempt at locating these programmatic elements within the site. All of the buildings are within existing footprints of the former mill buildings. I did this in order to help emphasise the connection to the past (old berlin) while giving these buildings a new "identity" (new berlin).

The locations of the programmatic elements relate to their specific locations on the site. In this plan, there would be 3 separate entries - each with a specific destination, serving a purpose for the 3 distinct groups that would be using this site (berlin residents, students, and "tourists").

The main entry for the berlin residents would be directly from main street. Perhaps there would be some kind of small building, landscaped element that would signify "entry" along main street itself. This entry would then lead to a building (or groups of buildings) that housed elements such as a dining area, cafe, bookstore - things that Berlin residents might need/use.

The main entry for the students could be directly from the new road (created on old train tracks) - which would lead students directly to NOLS main building (the existing mill), where the classrooms and large indoor gym could be located. I think that this would allow for the adaptive reuse of the existing mill.

The "tourist" entry would also be located on main street, but would enter through the dam building, where the berlin historical society would be located. This would give visitors a chance to learn about the history of the town within a historic building - helping to tie the connection between the historic berlin of the past - leading to the new berlin of the future.

Of course the entryways will be used by all 3 types - at all locations - but I want to create some attempt at semblance - having specific entries for specific uses.

It would seem to me that student housing should be close to the school - while the "tourist" housing, should be on the waterfront - taking advantage of the views and location along the rivers edge.

All the buildings, of course, would have some connection to one another. Perhaps more than in just pathways - but views, similar elevations, mirrored entry sequences.

Beyond the planning for development 1, I would also like to explore the connections between the other 5/6 future developed areas. However, most of the detailed work I complete will revolve around the "core" of the thesis (precinct 1).

No comments:

Post a Comment